Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Things My Father Told Me, part 2

Superchicken and his sidekick, Fred  c.1968


"You knew the job was dangerous when you took it."
Superchicken to his sidekick, Fred.

I heard variations on this from my father a lot.  When I almost failed took calculus in college, I called home for some words of wisdom.  I was doing all of the work but wasn't doing well on tests, the professor wasn't very sympathetic (he told me that I couldn't always get A's and B's), and I was completely stressed out at the prospect of a 4-credit D on my transcript.  My father was many things, but a math whiz wasn't one of them.  He listened to my tearful story and then said, "Calculus, hmmm...well, Jacqueline, it's calculus.  You should have known the job was dangerous when you took it."  

Not what I wanted to hear.  But I worked really hard and got a C as a Christmas present from my professor.  I was thrilled because it wasn't a D.

So, as much as I want to whine about how hard it is to get these illustrations done, I can hear my father's voice telling me that I knew the job was dangerous when I took it.  Not what I want to hear.  But then I get back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment