Monday, June 4, 2012

Philadelphia Doll Show

Well, that was fun!

Last weekend marked the 23rd annual show hosted by Philadelphia Doll Museum founder Barbara Whiteman. "A Treasury of Dolls," as this year's show was called, offered a wide range of dolls and doll-related merchandise.  There were antique dolls and more recent collectibles, as well as many talented artists with unique takes on black dolls.

Jacq's Girls at the Philadelphia Doll Show

I got finished setting up my table early (which never, ever, happens!) and had a chance to wander about looking at all the beautiful dolls on display.  I didn't take any pictures then, because so many people were still setting up and then at the end of the day I just didn't think about it again.  Next year...

My neighbors for the day were Jeanyne James and Pat Coleman-Cobb.  Jeanyne James is a doll-maker and quilter who also makes fabric sculptures in tribute to the Gee's Bend Quilters.  I would not have known that her sculptures were fabric if she had not told me.  I would show a picture here, but...

Pat Coleman-Cobb does tall soft-sculptured dolls and uses other media in her doll-making as well.  Her beautiful dolls can be both whimsical and soulful.  You can check out her website here.

Dana Cooper writes a blog dedicated to black doll collecting and she has two posts about the show.  Visit her here.

I don't know whether people are happy when they come to doll shows or being at the doll show makes them happy.  Either way, the good spirit in the room was palpable and I am looking forward to next year!


2 comments:

  1. Hi and thanks for the link to my blog! That was very kind of you. My blog is about playscale doll and action figure collecting, but I do focus on Black dolls often ;-)

    Being at a doll show makes me happy even when I feel tired otherwise. I'll look for you next year.

    In the meantime, I saw that there will be a Black Cloth Doll Show in New Orleans this July so I am forwarding the information to you:

    http://blackdollcollecting.blogspot.com/2012/06/black-cloth-doll-presence-at-2012-ufdc.html

    I don't know if you knew about this one, etc., but I thought just in case.

    Good luck either way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dana, thanks for visiting my blog and passing along the info about the New Orleans show. I'll check that out.

      Delete